Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Awkward Family Vacation Photo

I don’t usually get sucked into these types of things, but I just couldn’t help myself.

Do you know the website “Awkward Family Photos”? Well, if you don’t, you may want to take a look. The point is to show the world various photos that you'd probably otherwise hide in the back of a closet somewhere. Quite frankly, I don’t think most of them are all that interesting. But I did become rather obsessed last week with Virgin Atlantic’s “Awkward Family Vacation Photo” contest, partly because the winning family from California would be awarded a free flight to and from Orlando, FL, where (of course!) Disney World is located. Not only did I enter, but I entered my all-time favorite childhood photo of my sister Vicki and me (with our beautiful cousin Linda).

I only remember taking one long family vacation when I was a kid: a two-week car trip to northern California in 1966. I was 12 years old. We drove to Yosemite (via Fresno and the bizarrely strange Underground Gardens, which Dad just loved) and then over to the coast (Hearst's Castle, Monterey, etc.). Somewhere along the way we snapped this photo, which in our family is famously known as “The Denney’s Picture.” Can you guess which one I am?

Enjoy!





Oh, by the way, not only did I not win the contest, I don’t think the photo even made it onto the website. But no matter. I did receive a coupon for 33% off our next flight to Orlando. Could there be a trip to Disney World in our near future?

No comments: